What Should I Do if I’m involved in an Auto Accident?

| |

Reading Time: 3 minutes

After an accident, you need to act quickly. The moments that follow the point of impact have a direct affect on your future. If you find yourself involved in a car collision, take all of the following steps to improve your outcome.


Check for Damage

As soon as you’re able to do so, check yourself for damage. Do you have any bleeding wounds or painful bruises? You should also pay attention to any headaches or dizziness you might be feeling.

After you assess the damage to yourself, check the other passengers of your vehicle. If other vehicles were involved in the accident, approach them and ask the drivers and passengers if they are injured. In the event of an injury, call for an ambulance.


Police Accident carwitter 700x467 - What Should I Do if I’m involved in an Auto Accident? - What Should I Do if I’m involved in an Auto Accident?


Call the Police

Although you may only have vehicle damage, you should contact the police. In Florida, you’re required to notify the police of a collision that involves any of the following situations:

  • Someone is injured
  • The other driver may be intoxicated
  • A vehicle requires a tow truck
  • The other driver fled the scene
  • A commercial vehicle was involved in the crash

Even if your accident does not meet one of the above criteria, you should still notify the police. They will create a police report that could be used to determine fault. When you file an insurance claim, the police report could be used to prove the other driver was liable for the crash.

Collect Information

As you wait for the police to arrive, do some of your own investigating. Write down the contact information of the other drivers and passengers. If there are witnesses, ask them to share their information.

You also need the license plate number and the VIN of the other driver. Additionally, record their insurance information. Although this information should be in the police report, you can never be too careful.


Motorbike Crash carwitter 700x394 - What Should I Do if I’m involved in an Auto Accident? - What Should I Do if I’m involved in an Auto Accident?


Seek Medical Attention

Regardless of how you feel, you should seek medical attention after your accident. You don’t need to rush to the hospital, but you should make your way to a doctor for a check-up.

Some accident victims don’t realize they have injuries until it’s too late. If you don’t have a medical record of your injury, you won’t be able to seek compensation for your medical bills. Even worse, your lack of medical care could mean your injury worsens. You may never fully recover.

If your doctor does find an injury and advises you on a way to treat it, you should listen to them. Follow through with their treatment plan and do everything you can to recover. When you seek compensation for your injuries, your eagerness to treat your injury could help your case.

Contact a Lawyer

It’s important to call your insurance company shortly after your crash. But first, you should seek the advice of an experienced car accident lawyer. They will advise you on dealing with the insurance company and ensure you don’t accept a settlement for less than you deserve.

All too often, insurance companies fight claims and make low-ball offers. By working with an attorney, you can stand up to the insurance company. You also learn about other options for seeking compensation, such as filing a personal injury claim.

Between January and August of 2018, about 10% of all Florida car accidents took place in Broward County. Accidents in Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding area are more common than you might imagine. If you’re looking for an attorney, call 1800-Injured for car accident lawyers.


Car Crash Tyre carwitter 700x433 - What Should I Do if I’m involved in an Auto Accident? - What Should I Do if I’m involved in an Auto Accident?


Traffic Collision Main Causes

Car Loan Finance – How To Secure A Deal That Works For You