VW’s new upper echelon Clubsport S Golf GTi has lapped the Nurburgring in a time of 07:49:21, it now takes the crown as the fastest front wheel drive car around the ring.
It ditches the rear seats, has semi slicks, 310PS with 380Nm of torque and will get to 62 in 5.8 seconds. Finally a special edition hot hatch for the enthusiast!
The engine is mapped with the same software as the Golf GTI TCR from the Saloon Car Championship with larger 65mm exhaust tips that produce a backfire under breaking. A new, more powerful fuel pump was added to keep up with the new tune.
Aluminium brake bells help decrease weight by 1KG per corner and special brake pads are fitted all round from the factory to help with brake fade.
A new ESC Sport mode has been added, selectable via a two stage switch it is recommended for ‘very experienced drivers’ it cuts in later than being fully on, allowing even more agile handling. Naturally, it can be fully switched off at the drivers’ discretion…
The limited run of 400 Clubsport’s will come with a special ‘Nurburgring’ setting in the adjustable Dynamic Chassis Control. It also comes with Comfort, Normal and Race, as well as an individual setting for you to fine tune your track weapon.
You can opt for the Clubsport in 3 colours – Tornado Red, Pure White and Deep Black Pearl Effect whilst the roof of the red and white models are painted black.
Ten key facts – the Golf GTI Clubsport S
- The most powerful Golf GTI ever breaks the lap record for front-wheel-drive production cars on the Nürburgring Nordschleife, with a time of 07:49:21.
- Only 400 of the limited edition Golf GTI Clubsport S, which delivers 228 kW/310 PS and can go from 0-100 km/h in just 5.8 seconds, will be made.
- Uniquely, the Golf GTI Clubsport S has a Nürburgring setting, which can be accessed using the driving profile selector.
- The Nürburgring setting finetunes the adaptive chassis control DCC, engine, steering and sound to suit the Nordschleife.
- The chassis of the Golf GTI Clubsport S was fine-tuned in extensive racetrack tests and completely reconfigured.
- With the EU unladen weight reduced to 1,285 kg, the 310 PS results in a sports car power-to-weight ratio of 4.15 kg/PS. (EU unladen weight incl. driver and luggage: 1,360 kg).
- New exhaust system sees tail pipes with an enlarged cross-section produce strong backfire when braking.
- The Golf GTI Clubsport S is a two-door, two-seat car, with the rear seats removed to save weight.
- The Golf GTI Clubsport S comes with 19-inch alloy wheels (“Pretoria”) and semi-slicks.
- The production number 001/400 to 400/400 in the interior reveals that the car is an exclusive special edition.