We all have that one special car we hope one day we’ll be able to buy. Whether that’s a high-end Mercedes, a Ford Mustang or something equally super, maybe one day you’ll be lucky enough to land your most wanted car.
Research by Confused.com revealed one in seven (14%) UK motorists are fortunate enough to already be driving their dream car. That leaves 86% not having their ultimate motor and counting on that lottery win.
Lots of people will have been saving up and may not realise the cost doesn’t end with the car itself. Insurance for top performance cars can cost as much as £7,335 (based on Confused.com data for 2019) for a Lamborghini Aventador, for example.
The good news is that car insurance doesn’t always have to be this steep, and won’t be for many luxury cars. We’ve put together a list of cars worth over £50k that have the lowest average car insurance premiums. That should keep them within touching distance for some.
First up, the very sensible Volvo XC90. Reigning supreme with the lowest average car insurance cost2, the XC90 also has the lowest average vehicle value in the top 10.
Stats Avg. premium: £831 Avg. vehicle value: £59.7k Avg. driver age: 43
While it might be surprising to see a Porsche in 2nd place, the Macan is one of their most attainable cars. But with an average vehicle cost of over £63k it’s one of the more affordable cars on the list.
Stats Avg. premium: £850 Avg. vehicle value: £63.2k Avg. driver age: 49
Popular among country-folk and city-folk alike, the Discovery has been a staple on British roads for decades. To go with its stature, it also comes with a hefty price tag, averaging over £70k. But surprisingly the insurance resides under £1k, giving it #3 in our top 10.
Stats Avg. premium: £980 Avg. vehicle value: £71.8k Avg. driver age: 45
The first and only EV in the list. This Jag has an average premium a sneeze over £1k, not bad considering they start brand new for just under £70k.
Stats Avg. premium: £1,002 Avg. vehicle value: £70.1k Avg. driver age: 49
A smidge more affordable than the Discovery, the Range Rover Velar is fifth on our list. Its premium is a staunch £179+ more than the Jaguar i-Pace EV.
Stats Avg. premium: £1,159 Avg. vehicle value: £63.1k Avg. driver age: 42
These German-made, finely engineered cars will always appear in top ten lists. They are ever-popular and always desirable, well-made machines. It may come as a surprise to see them on a list of ‘affordable’ cars though. The X3 takes the sixth spot, and is approx. £400 a year more expensive than the Volvo to insure, on average.
Stats Avg. premium: £1,239 Avg. vehicle value: £84.4k Avg. driver age: 42
Starting at almost £20k more than the X3, the X5 is seventh on the list. Its average premium is about £150 a year more than the X3, but the average vehicle value is lower than the X3. Those opting for the X3 could be picking more of the optional extras, compared to those forking out for an X5.
Stats Avg. premium: £1,390 Avg. vehicle value: £65.8k Avg. driver age: 43
One of Audi’s biggest cars doesn’t necessarily draw the biggest premium. The Q7 only averages £4 a year more to insure than the BMW X5. It still has a hefty premium at almost £1,400 a year.
Stats Avg. premium: £1,394 Avg. vehicle value: £64.8k Avg. driver age: 42
Adorning many a teenage bedroom wall in poster form, the iconic 911 is Porsche’s flagship car. According to Confused.com data, the typical age of a 911 is 5 years old, whereas all the other cars in the list have an average vehicle age of 0-1 years. Are people holding on to these cars for longer, or buying them older to make them a little more affordable? It’s also one of the most expensive cars on our list. And even though the average age is higher, it has the biggest jump in average premium, at a little under £200.
Stats Avg. premium: £1,591 Avg. vehicle value: £89.6k Avg. driver age: 45
Top of this list is one of Mercedes’ more luxury cars, not that any Mercedes isn’t luxurious. This car commands the biggest average premium in our list. Yet, considering the average price of the car, it’s not necessarily the biggest stretch.
Stats Avg. premium: £1,596 Avg. vehicle value: £69k Avg. driver age: 43
Confused.com research reveals nearly one in three (32%) UK drivers are confused about how their car insurance is calculated. And more than one in three (35%) said they were confused why the cost of insurance goes up each year. To clear up the confusion, we have written a helpful guide to explain how car insurance is calculated.
Written by Georgina Kent from Confused.com. Georgina only learned to drive 2 years ago at the ripe old age of 39. She drives a very un-exciting Hyundai i30, but has her sights on the i30 Fastback N that, for now, remains a ‘dream’ car.
 Figures based on omnibus research carried out by One Poll on behalf of Confused.com. Based on 2,000 UK motorists, April 2020.
 Confused.com data, 2019.