Car accidents can happen to anyone and no matter how good of a driver you are, you are not immune to experiencing a “fender bender” in your lifetime.
Whether you have experienced car accidents in the past or not, there are many ways that you can take action to prevent ever experiencing one again. This article will identify some of the common causes to car accidents and how to prevent them from happening to you.
- Distracted driving. Due to the prevalent issue of the population being glued, face down, to their smartphones, it is no wonder that one of the most causes of car accidents is due to distracted driving.Text messaging, checking Facebook or other social media channels, taking photos or videos, and just not paying attention to the road and others around you is a sure way to get in a car accident. In fact, distracted driving has become so common that many states have outlawed cell phone use of any kind when operating a motor vehicle. The best way to avoid a car accident is to pay attention to the road and avoid using your phone unless it is a dire emergency.
- Speeding. Let’s face it; we are all busy. Getting from point A to point B can be a challenge when you are running late or you experience unexpected traffic on your route. While many believe that speeding when there is a wide open space can save you time, it may actually cost you a great deal of time if you get into an accident.Speeding can not only create a slower response time but it also consumes more gas and can be dangerous to other drivers on the road as they may not see you speed up behind them or when you are trying to pass them. This could cause an accident and is easily avoided by going the speed limit.
- Driving under the influence of substances. This is the simplest and easiest of causes that you can avoid simply by just following the law. If you are under the influence of alcohol or other substances, do not get behind the wheel of a vehicle and operate it to get you to another location.Not only are you seriously risking hurting yourself and your vehicle, but you could potentially hurt someone else. There are many ways to get a ride home after a fun night out such as Uber or getting a ride with a sober friend.
- Reckless driving. Driving can be fun, but it is also very dangerous. People forget how dangerous driving can be and think that a quick joyride with some crazy maneuvers won’t hurt anyone.In fact, reckless driving, such as swerving in and out of traffic, or trying to do interesting moves such as a wheelie on a motorcycle, is just asking for trouble. If you want to impress your friends, the best idea is to not do it in a car where you could hurt someone or yourself badly.
- Running red lights. Running a red light is an easy way to get hit but an oncoming car. If you see a light turn yellow, slow down and come to a stop so that you do not run a red light. This is a great way to avoid getting T-boned in the middle of an intersection.
car accident, top 5
Michael Fennel works as a journalist for a publishing company and loves technology and cars. He has been writing about everything gear related for five years and would like to become a racing driver.