Strakka racing have announced they are to withdraw the debut of their Dome s103 LMP2 until the Le Mans 24 hours.
The decision was taken after the team struggled to complete enough running during their test at Paul Ricard last week.
Announcing the decision to withdraw just three days before the opening WEC round at Silverstone Strakka admitted they had been left with “little option” but to continue testing.
This means they will miss both Silverstone and the following round at Spa, meaning the s103 won’t be seen for the first time until the double-points classic at Le Mans in June.
The team also put some of the blame on the engine rules in use by the FIA for the championship.
Teams who failed to attend the Prologue test at Paul Ricard are allowed only two engines for the whole season and Strakka said the decision not to attend the first two rounds would help them manage with that restriction.
Boss and driver Nick Leventis said: “Everybody is hugely disappointed not to be out at Silverstone, particularly having seen a little of what the car is capable of.
It’s also the home track for all the drivers and Strakka Racing’s workshop is literally just around the corner, so debuting the car there would have been perfect. However, the simple fact is that the car is not yet ready to race and we need to do more testing.
2014 remains our development year ahead of potential customer programmes so we want to solve issues, not work around them. We would not be doing justice to all the hard work done by DOME and Strakka Racing if we raced the car at this stage in its development.
Strakka Racing won’t cut corners and will instead concentrate on testing not racing to unlock the speed we know the S103 is capable of. I would also like to apologise to Strakka Racing’s fans that won’t get to see the car at Silverstone but they know we are racers. We are doing this to ultimately be more competitive and to put us in a position to challenge later in the season and show what it can do.
They will continue to test the s103 in private and it will make it’s public debut at the Le Mans test day on June 1.
The blow comes just days after the team claimed it’s first victory in the Formula Renault 3.5 series with Carlos Sainz Jr at Monza.