Mercedes have announced they are moving into the compact SUV segment. The new GLA is based on the same platform as the CLA and A Class, it will compete with the Evoque, BMW X1 and Audi’s Q3.
- The GLA is 4417mm long, 1805mm wide and 1494mm high, making it 125mm longer than the A-class, but they share the same 2699mm wheelbase
- There will be two front wheel drive engines, a 1.6 litre turbo petrol with 154 BHP – GLA200. The second is a 134 BHP 1.8 litre turbo diesel – GLA200 CDI
- GLA200 CDI, will average 65.7mpg, and CO2 emissions of 114g/km
- If you want 4Matic all-wheel drive then the engines you have available are a 168 BHP 2.1-litre turbo diesel – GLA220 CDI and a 208 BHP 2.0 litre turbo petrol – GLA250
- 4Matic defaults to front wheel drive mode in normal conditions
- Six speed manual gearboxes are standard on the front wheel drive models. The Seven speed automatic is an optional extra
- Seven speed dual-clutch automatic on the all-wheel-drive variants.
- 8/10 UK buyers will opt for 4 wheel drive
- Start stop, automatic shutting grille and a coefficient drag of just 0.29 help the GLA’s fuel economy
- The interior will be the same as the A Class and CLA
- An AMG Sport version is likely to be the top trim level, and will no doubt feature sports suspension and larger alloys
- UK full spec and pricing TBC
To be honest it looks a lot like an A Class, but with a bit of plastic cladding, and raised ride height.